Would you like to be a caretaker at NPWHF and the Old Gaol?
Posted 5th Oct 2017
Have you ever wanted to stay in an historic gaol?
If you want a truly unique experience, The National Pioneer Women’s Hall of Fame and Old Alice Springs Gaol is looking for a caretaker couple over our peak tourist season to greet visitors, assist in our shop and help in our soon to be launched café on weekends, as well as some general maintenance, and shop and gardening work during the week. We are looking people from mid-October 2018 onwards.
The National Pioneer Women’s Hall of Fame is a non-profit museum that celebrates and explores the contributions of women in Australia’s heritage. The museum is based in the Old Alice Springs Gaol, and we also tell stories from the gaol’s history.
We are looking for:
- People who are responsible, friendly, confident in handling cash (training provided), able to do basic gardening/grounds maintenance.
You will be responsible for (full training provided):
- Opening and closing the museum on Saturdays and Sundays.
- Welcoming visitors on Saturdays and Sundays and giving guests information about the museum and old gaol.
- Helping at the shop/entry point during our opening hours of 10am-5pm on Saturdays and Sundays.
- Selling of hot drinks, hot foods and cakes on Saturdays and Sundays. We are looking to trial a small cafe on weekends during peak season. You would not be required to do any cooking or have any barista experience.
- Completing minor grounds and maintenance work throughout the week, such as basic fixes, gardening, and keeping the complex generally tidy as required. We have a cleaner who comes in twice a week for the overall cleaning of the complex. You may be asked to fill in a volunteer shift (normally 2-3 hours in length) during the week if required.
Hours will be a minimum of 14 hours and a maximum of 20 hours for each person. You will normally be working alongside other volunteers, but there may be times where you will be working solo.
- Free rent, and free hook ups to water and electricity (no excessive use of electricity please, such as aircons or heaters running all day), and drains for your grey water, and flushing toilet waste.
- A site at the back of the complex away from visitors. We will put up a screen to stop any people who have wandered off the main paths from accessing your site.
- Toilets that you can use in the museum’s buildings. There is also a working shower in the old men’s cell block if you wish to use that outside of opening hours.
- A great location that is an easy walk to town and the shops.
- The chance to stay in an old gaol, and meet a range of interesting people, including staff, volunteers and visitors from all over the world.
Please be aware that:
- Because money handling is involved, we will require a police check and references.
- This is not a paid position.
- You will need your own caravan to bring onsite.
- Our insurance will cover you if you hurt yourself onsite. You will need your own contents insurance for your caravan and vehicle.
- No cats or dogs are allowed.
Getting in touch
If you are interested, give us a call on 08 8952 9006 or email email@example.com. We look forward to hearing from you!